Thursday, August 15, 2013

WTF is MTBI?

MTBI is mild traumatic brain injury.  According to the Brain Injury Association of America, the term "mild brain injury" can be misleading.  The term "mild" is used in reference to the severity of the initial physical trauma that caused the injury.  It does not indicate the severity of the consequences of the injury.  

I found this out the hard way.  

I had no broken bones.  The swelling and bruising in my face resolved after a few days.  But the damage inside my brain was only beginning to become obvious.

The initial treatment for MTBI is brain rest.  I believed that if I took it easy, I'd be just fine in a few days...a week at most.  Many people do recover in a short time.  

This time, I am not one of them.



More on MTBI:
http://www.biausa.org/mild-brain-injury.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment