Friday, October 4, 2013

It starts with a spark...

Yesterday I was able to recapture a tiny piece of my pre-PCS life.

I had a visit with an ophthalmologist who specializes in brain injury. She spent 90 minutes carefully determining what my vision issues were, and how to correct them. She mentioned a pilot study she wanted to do to show the effects of a particular anesthetic drop on convergence in brain injury, but said she was having trouble getting it approved. I asked her what the issues preventing approval were, and she explained them to me.

You see, before PCS, I was a clinical scientist and medical writer doing late stage drug development in oncology. I've designed, reviewed, implemented, analyzed, or monitored well over 100 clinical trials in oncology, infectious disease, cardiology, and ophthalmology. Also, I spent 3 years as a reviewer on an Institutional Review Board (IRB) that evaluates and approves clinical trials. I haven't been able to work since my injury, but somehow my brain was able to understand her situation. I suggested a revision in the trial design that solved all the problems.

I left with a prescription for new glasses, and an opportunity to be a paid consultant on her study. 


It feels sooooo good to think like a scientist again.

1 comment: