Monday, September 30, 2013

Laughter returns!

(This was written earlier but not published.)


I finally laughed...11 weeks after my brain injury!

My daughter was home for a visit and offered to do my nails for me.  I went into the bathroom to remove the clear polish I had on, and noticed that one nail was starting to crack. So I grabbed a tube of krazy glue to fix it.  Just a dab would do the trick.

But my fine motor control sucks...which is why I don't do my own nails...and my fingers are kinda numb. I don't have a sense of how tightly to grip things, which means I either drop things or squish them. My hands shake when I hold objects. I haven't eaten a meal without spilling or dropping it since my injury.  I find cuts on the palms of my hands from holding things too tightly, or from my own nails. 

I squeezed the tube of krazy glue.  Nothing. 

I checked to make sure the tip wasn't glued shut.  It wasn't. 

So I squeezed a little harder.  Which was actually a lot harder...too hard, really. 

The tube delivered way more than needed.  Now I had krazy glue on my cracked nail, as well as several fingers, and the palms of both hands.  

But nail polish remover takes off krazy glue, right?  I grabbed the cotton ball soaked with nail polish remover I had just used to take off the nail polish, and used it to remove the krazy glue.  Problem solved, right?

Nope.  Instead of removing the krazy glue, I had bits of cotton glued all over both hands. I looked like a preschool craft project gone wrong.  

I wandered out to where my daughter was waiting for me and started to explain my issue.  I got as far as "I have a problem..." before I started to giggle...because a grown woman with cotton glued to her hands is funny.  

And at long last, my brain recognized that and responded correctly!

I don't laugh often, and it's little more than a chuckle when I do...but it's something.



No comments:

Post a Comment